Thursday, February 20, 2020

Brad Gruber - The PROFESSIONAL Recruiter

I got approached by Brad Gruber on LinkedIn. Brad Gruber sent the following message through LinkedIn on 02/20/2020 at 5:04 PM:

Hi Andrew,
My name is Brad from Apex in San Diego. I wanted to reach out and see if either you or anyone in your network would be open to some positions in Devops, ETL, or System Admin in San Diego? We offer a referral bonus for anyone referred and hired!
Details:
- 3 different openings - Devops Engineer, ETL Engineer, and System Admins, including some early career and Sr. level roles
- MYSQL is most important skillset* in a Linux environment. Must be able to script using Bash.
- Jenkins and kubernetes used, however similar skillsets are ok.
- Need to know or be willing to learn MongoDB
- Pay rate depends on experience but around $50-60/hour
If you're interested in hearing more or know someone who can be a fit, please reply with an updated resume and the best time/ph # to reach you.
Thanks!
Brad Gruber 
Technical Recruiter
Apex Systems, San Diego, CA
Here's my response:
You know, Brad. The good thing about LinkedIn is that it allows me to look back at the actual experience that you list. Now mind you, you've labeled yourself as a PROFESSIONAL Recruiter. But are you really a pro? Do you really have a long time of service in the field of tech recruiting?
Looking at your LinkedIn profile I see you've only been a recruiter for 3 years. Now that's not really enough time to be a real pro. 
But if I look at your earlier experience I see a mixed bag of Field Energy Consultant for a whopping 3 months. Guess you couldn't hang on to that job. Then a Rent-a-car manager for 8 1/2 years. Now that's your strong suit I guess and it has nothing to do with tech recruiting. Then, of course, there are the obligatory financial and sales jobs. Don't be like Andy Satulla.
I will give you a shot at recruiting me. You need to do the following, exactly, or you will fail. In the process, you will learn the ropes about what it means to be a tech recruiter.
The first job of a recruiter is to screen or qualify candidates. That means that you ensure that the candidate meets, at a minimum, ALL the requirements. That's why they call them requirements! Any candidate who does not meet all of the requirements is not qualified for the job and should not be contacted. After all what would be the point? They could not take the position and therefore you don't make a "sale" and Apex gets no money. You waste your time and my time and piss me off.
Given the above, you need to show me that you've properly qualified me. Take the job descriptions you have and isolate the requirements. Take my resume (if you don't have it already go to https://defaria.com/resume) and ensure that I have each and every requirement met. For this exercise, you'll need to email me (that's right Andrew@DeFaria.com - LinkedIn is not my inbox!) the job description, then take each requirement, one by one and tie it to where you've verified that I have that skill on my resume. If you cannot verify each requirement, well then re-read the previous paragraph.
If you can prove to me, by exact, comprehensive proof of tying each requirement to a skill set I possess and have detailed on my resume then you may proceed to contact me for that position. If you cannot then stop and do not contact me. Actually don't stop, instead, contact me and apologize for bothering me with jobs I am not qualified for (pssst. I know you said you wanted me to let you know if I have anybody that I think does fulfill these jobs but I will remind you that I refuse to do your job for you - you're not doing my job for me so it's only fair).
You see, Brad, this is what a truly professional recruiter does - all others are rank amateurs and only serve to waste my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment