Monday, February 26, 2018

LinkedIn Recruiters

I also get approached by recruiters on LinkedIn too. Often they give little details but sometimes they give full details. Here's yet another conversation with a recruiter:

Josh Brett
  • Josh Brett sent the following message at 6:26 AM

    DevOps Engineer position in San Francisco, CA

    Hi Andrew, I came across your profile and thought that this position may interest you if you were still considering your options. ~ DevOps Engineer This is a Full-Time Direct Hire position in San Francisco, CA Open to US Citizens & Green Card Recipients ~ Required Qualifications & Skills • 5+ years of DevOps & system administration experience. • 3+ years of managing AWS cloud infrastructure. • Configuring & supporting SaaS environments. • Docker & Kubernetes. • Monitoring / APM tools like New Relic, CloudWatch, PaperTrail & Rollbar. • Linux administration & scripting. ............... If you are interested, please reply with your number and a time that works best for you, as well as your current time zone if different than city mentioned. I'd also appreciate it if you'd let me know if you're not interested so that I can take you off my radar for this or any future positions. Thank you. Josh Brett, B.H.R. jbrett@spyglasspartners.com
  • Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 6:57 AM
    That's not how you do it! This is how you do it: Andrew, Thanks for applying to the opening we have. Although your AWS Certified your resume doesn’t seem to go into a lot of detail around your experience with AWS / Cloud. The Client is looking for resumes with strong experience including…..approx 5 years’ experience with Cloud Service Providers (Amazon Web Services, Azure, Google Cloud Platform) If I missed this in the resume, please direct me as to how I can show the Client that you have been very hands-on with AWS / Cloud over the last 4 or 5 years. Can you tell how this guy's approach is better than yours?
  • Josh Brett sent the following message at 7:24 AM
    View Josh’s profileJosh Brett
    ok, I appreciate the feedback...and to give a little of my own: 1. You didn't apply to anything that I posted other than this inmail. 2. I've seen the strategy of...can you tell me how you may match up, etc by pretty much every recruiter ...so not a lot of originality. 3. I'm pretty straight forward and rather put what it is the candidate is expected to do rather than try to put a square peg in a round hole. 4. My response rate is pretty good considering some of my coworkers use a similar approach as the one you outlined. 5. Truthfully, I wish everyone success with what ever approach they use so long as the connection made is pure and win-win Thank you.
  • Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 7:38 AM
    In case your taking notes... 1. I didn't apply to this inmail either! 2. I wasn't talking about that strategy - try again. 3. There are no square pegs nor round holes here 4. Response rate means nothing - placement rate is where it's at! 5. I'm looking for a win-win too Since you didn't "get it" I'll explain in full. You approached me here with a job and at least did well by including all the particulars. Here's where you fell flat on your face - you neglected to do job #1 for a recruiter which is to match up client requirements to skill set of the prospective candidate. Contained among your clients requirements were (quoted): ~ Required Qualifications & Skills • 5+ years of DevOps & system administration experience. • 3+ years of managing AWS cloud infrastructure. • Configuring & supporting SaaS environments. • Docker & Kubernetes. • Monitoring / APM tools like New Relic, CloudWatch, PaperTrail & Rollbar. • Linux administration & scripting. Of those 6 bulleted items, none of them - I REPEAT NONE OF THEM - appear on my resume at all! Did you even bother to read my resume?!? Now really, do I have to teach you recruiters that this is the first thing you should BEFORE you reach out to the candidate? Or, as my previous example to you plainly showed, reach out and question those things that I clearly have not enumerated on my resume to inquire whether or not I have any experience with such technologies that I didn't highlight in my resume. This would at least show me that you did due diligence and made the effort to read and understand my resume. How could you POSSIBLY believe I would be qualified for a position where 5 out of 6 of the REQUIREMENTS I don't even mention on my resume?!? Do you understand now? Did I really have to beat you over the head with that?!?


No comments:

Post a Comment