Monday, February 12, 2018

Man Mohan Tiwari or Scott Davidson?

One tactic Indian recruiters employ is to send you and initial contact email about some "urgent" position that they have desperately been trying to get a hold of me for. Excuse me but perhaps you could bother to actually leave a voicemail or an email. Phones nowadays register when people try to call and I know my voicemail works. As does my email. But you didn't try any of that because this is the first I've heard of you. Trying to instill fake urgency is a turn off!

Another tactic Indian recruiters employ is to take on a common American name in the attempt to appear acclimated to American culture. Another tactic that seems rampant lately is for them to approach you and giving you pretty much no information about the position at hand, attempt to get you to commit to some rate or to have a conversation with them. Excuse me but I don't know what I'm buying here so I'm not offering a price nor do I want to "chit-chat" with you if what you have is not suitable for me. It's a waste of my time and your time.

Here's a transcript of a recent "chat" on LinkedIn with Man Mohan Twari who solicited me directly.

Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following messages at 12:02 PM
hi Andrew 
i have urgent devops engineer position for you in san diego ca
Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 12:03 PM
So why haven't you emailed it to Andrew@DeFaria.com yet?!?
I'm just being playful here basically saying, yes I'm interested and send that right along...

Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:03 PM
I did
Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 12:04 PM
When?
Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:04 PM
just now it is contract role of 12+ months
OK so now I know it's a contract. Great!

Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 12:04 PM
I have one from a Scott Davidson.
I checked my email and I have an email from one Scott Davidson... Hmmm...

Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:05 PM
it is same
Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 12:05 PM
But your name is not Scott.
Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:05 PM
i dont have detailed JD they are looking for devops engineer
Hmmm... So let's think for a little be. He has no JD or Job Description. How can he possibly know if I have the skills to satisfy the minimum requirements? He can't. So he doesn't even know if he will be wasting his time or my time. 

Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 12:05 PM
I'm confused.
Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:05 PM
yes my name is scott
Hmmm... Normal people use their real names. LinkedIn doesn't generally allow nicknames so is this guy Man Mohan Tiwari or Scott?

Andrew DeFaria sent the following messages at 12:06 PM
I have that you are Man Mohan Tiwari. You're not pretending to be an American by using a common American name are you? That would be bad.
It's a crappy way to make a first impression, don't you agree? 
Here I'm calling him out. Obviously there's a discrepancy in names and I believe him to be using an American name just to appear not Indian. 

Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:07 PM
Sorry for that but i am using that sudo name for long time
Now granted, some cultures like Chinese take on a similar sounding first name because Americans may have a difficult time if the person's name is say Xu or perhaps Ng. But they never pick an American lastname. Yet Man's so called "sudo name" is not just Scott, but Scott Davidson!

Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 12:07 PM
You use sudo(1m)? :-)
Now I'm playing with him again. I've already determined he's not sincere or that his is using deceptive tactics. Nerd humor ahead alert - Man say "sudo name" meaning "synonym" but not being an English speaker he heard it wrong or spelled it wrong. But I play off of that referring to sudo, a Linux command to become root, hence the (1m) reference meaning section 1 in the admin section.

Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:08 PM
Sorry for that but that is reality
Note to self: I know it's what you really did, but I also know what you really did was a bad attempt to appear American. You failed.

Andrew DeFaria sent the following messages at 12:08 PM
No, it's deception. 
Reality is Man Mohan Tiwari.
Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:09 PM
yes i agree with you
As we shall soon see, he doesn't agree with me at all.

Andrew DeFaria sent the following messages at 12:09 PM
Is Davidson also a sudo? 
And yet you still deceive. Anyway, what is the rate for this assignment?
Here I point out that he seems to have also taken a "sudo name" for his last name of Davidson. As I said before, I have never seen this.

Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:10 PM
i dont deceive Andrew
Guess he didn't really agree with me after all.

Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 12:12 PM
When you use something other than your real name you are being deceptive. I notice you didn't choose a sudo of say Ravi Goswami.
A quick aside to see what Scott Davidson's email actually said:
Hello, 

Hope you are doing well.                   

My client is looking for devops engineer for contract position in san diego, CA
           
Job Description : 
Our client is looking for devops engineer in san diego, CA kindly share me your resume with your hourly rate expectation.



If you are interested please email me your updated resume ASAP mentioning below details: 

Full Name: 
Contact #: 
Current Location/State: 
Willing to relocate: 
Availability: 
Work Permit: 
Skype ID: 
Hourly rate Expectation: 
Email: 



Looking forward to your response…
Warm regards, 
Scott Davidson
IDC Technologies, Inc
Work (Direct number): 408-668-9304
Mailto: scott@idctechnologies.com
_____________________________________
Empowering Technologies Services
Remote Services | IT Services | BPO |
IT Consulting | Staffing Solutions |
_____________________________________
So to review, the above email insincerely mentions "Hope you are doing well" <- they don't give a shit. OK so what info, hard facts are here... It's a devops engineer position (which can be literally anything), it's a contract (that's good) and it's in san diego (no we can use proper capitalization in business correspondence!!! But San Diego's good). Demands: wants me to share my resume (one wonders how he got my email) and quote a rate. That's like quoting somebody how much a new roof would cause the owner without seeing the roof first!

Then he has the balls to ask me for useless information like Full Name - You already know that! Email address?!? In an email?!?, etc...

So I fire back at him:
But let me get this straight. You reach out to me through LinkedIn then email me a message that has absolutely no real description of what this assignment entails, want me to work filling out useless information and have the nerve to ask me to give you a rate?!? How the hell could I do that! I know nothing about this position. 
Try again. And be more professional next time.
Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:14 PM
Andrew i dint mean that.
Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 12:20 PM
What you meant is not important. How your message is received *IS* important. I just told you how I received it. You should be concerned and change your stance. 
So if you could 1) send me a real JD so I know what I'm dealing with and 2) include a rate (could be a range) of what the client is looking to spend then I will answer your question - but not before! 
Meantime this is going on my blog! You'll be famous... You're welcome.
Man Mohan Tiwari sent the following message at 12:25 PM
Andrew what was truth i told you and i dont want to be famous by this so if possible exclude my name that would be great:
Thanks 
Andrew DeFaria sent the following message at 5:20 PM
Gonna be hard to exclude your name when I'm not even sure of that exactly your name is... 
Anyway, don't worry. You won't be that famous. It's a small blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment